Monday, October 29, 2012

Day 0



Saturday morning, we perused a cookbook to get recipe ideas for the coming week. I had happened to buy a vegan cookbook a couple years ago called Vegan with a Vengeance, and we’ve already found a few winners in there (like the Fronch Toast, which is yum-tastic). 
 
Cookbook of choice for the next three weeks.


  We compiled a shopping list and ventured out for first grocery stop at Sunspot. We came back with a pretty decent selection including vegan mac and cheese, yogurt, shredded and wedge cheese, sandwich slices, and vegan pizza.  They didn’t have vegan coffee creamer, so I was starting to get concerned.  It was a pricey grocery-run though, so we went to Target to get the majority of the stuff.  I decided to just buy some coffee syrup and almond milk to put in my coffee.
Sunspot groceries.

 
Sunday morning, I did a test run with the coffee, and it was not good at all.  I was starting to think that going vegan was going to entail giving up coffee as well.  Yikes! But then Francisco had to run out to Payless to get the rest of the produce, since that’s almost always the most affordable store for those items, and voila, he came home with Silk (soy) coffee creamer. Yay!  I was thrilled to know that Payless carried this product.  It’s the small victories obviously…


Coffee creamer!


 We snuck in some time for me to get my scary movie fix and went to see Paranormal Activity 4 and over-indulged at the Indian buffet since we know we won’t be seeing the likes of that place during this 3-week lifestyle change. Our big hoorah meal ended up being at Olive Garden Sunday afternoon – we had the Smoked Mozzarella Fonduta, the Five Cheese Ziti al Forno, and Pumpkin Cheesecake for dessert. 
Olive Garden
Appetizer & Entree
Olive Garden Pumpkin Cheesecake
We baked a vegan apple pie Sunday night to have as dessert throughout the week. And even though I was stuffed from all the food at OG, I had to give it a try and it was pretty yum!


Vegan Apple Pie

No comments:

Post a Comment