Monday, November 19, 2012

Done Being Vegan - Just in Time for Thanksgiving!

I survived!  Alright, I guess it was never a question of survival, just will. 
As far as the results, I calculated that I consumed 30,000+ calories over 3 weeks. That averages out to 1,468 per day.  I tracked my incremental and cumulative weight change, and I lost 2.6 pounds or 1.99% of my beginning weight. Which is still kind of within tolerance for me since I tend to fluctuate within a range of 2-3 pounds. So...no significant weight change. 
I definitely spent more than I would normally expect to spend on groceries in a month. I spent about $450 in that three week period for vegan food, although to be fair some of that did include dairy products...which kind of broke one of the original rules in that I said I would not purchase any animal products…but I had dinner and dessert to get prepared for tonight, so it was kind of necessary. I still consider the experience a success. :-) 
The only dietary exception I made was for a handful of Advil and one Excedrin.  I’m willing to concede that there may have been some obscure ingredient overlooked, but I very diligently checked ingredients as much as possible. 

Last homemade vegan meal: Seitan and
mashed potatos and gravy.

At the end of three weeks, I was able to answer some questions that I’d vaguely wondered about in the past. Could I be vegan? WOULD I be vegan? I could, yes. It wasn’t the most awful thing ever. But I would likely never choose to be vegan. It can be tough, and I missed being able to go out to eat!

Homemade candy.


Just in time - someone left a tray of homemade candy on the reception desk at work, and I helped myself to a handful for a snack later. And of course Thanksgiving is just a few days away - I have no desire for turkey, but I've got to admit,  the day would be incomplete without macaroni and cheese....and pumpkin pie with whipped cream....and - you get the picture. :)


Till next time! I'm open to suggestions for my next three week challenge. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment