Thursday, November 15, 2012

Non-Vegans Suck! Haha, J/K

Today there was a large tray practically OVERFLOWING with cookies in the kitchen at work. Chocolate chip cookies, sugar cookies, all free for the taking. I ignored them and stuck my vegan English muffin in the toaster oven to heat up for breakfast. Just the other day someone left a box of delicious-looking HUGE blueberry muffins on that same counter, with a note saying ‘Help Yourself!’.  I’m sure my co-workers aren’t deliberately doing this to torment me, but do you have any idea how tempting that is?! I know that stuff is all bad for me though, so that points to probably the top benefit of being vegan: there’s just limited options to dig into giant trays of cookies and miscellaneous other junk food. 
Non-Vegan Muffins :(



The vegan desserts made at home this week have turned out really yummy though. Delicious Pumpkin Muffins and Chocolate Rum Pudding Cake – both very moist and flavorful. 




We have a birthday lunch for work tomorrow at Nine Irish Brothers, which is a really good restaurant in town. I shot them a quick email to see what their vegan options were, specifically asking if their Veggie Sandwich would be vegan if I omitted the feta cheese.  Their response was “The veggie sandwich without cheese would be vegan, unless you count the eggs used to make the bread.” OK, now I know that a vegan diet isn’t common knowledge to EVERYONE, but surely a restaurant should be accustomed to ingredient inquiries and be able to have a more informative response than THAT. I’m left to interpret that there is nothing else on their menu that is vegan except for sandwich fixings.   
On the bright side, only three full days left to go! I’m having my cousin over for dinner Monday, my first full day of being non-vegan again, so I need to plan an extra cheesy menu! 



2 comments:

  1. Actually, most people won't go out of their way to learn about a vegan diet because it's not something they would ever consider for themselves. Most vegans would not go to a restaurant that did not offer specific vegan options, which is why Nine Irish Brothers couldn't offer you more information about their menu: they just don't know. They've probably never had a vegan dine there before.
    That being said, I think it was pretty rotten of them to write back, "...unless you count the egg used to make the bread." Uhmm, YEAH, a LOT of vegans would consider the egg (though not when there's no other choice). They could try to be a little more sympathetic and accommodating to your needs as a potential patron. If I were you, I would eat before I go there if continuing on the vegan path for the next couple of days means that much to you. If not, live a little. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure they've had a vegan dine there before - they're in a college town with no dedicated vegetarian restaurant for Pete's sake, LOL. I was just checking to see if they could offer anything besides a plate of lettuce, and I was dismayed at the reply I received. What self-respecting vegan is going to commit to eating eggs?! ;-)They do have several vegetarian options, which are super yummy, so I'll still go back there in the future. Plus, my brother insists on going there everytime he comes to visit. Definitely not worth throwing away my 3-week goal though...I think I'll just sit this lunch out. :-)

    ReplyDelete