Monday, March 4, 2013

(Not) A Lovely Day for a Road Trip


Ah, what a lovely day for a road trip - not!  Our trip to Michigan took us across Indiana, briefly into Ohio, and then up to Ann Arbor in Michigan. I don't think we saw the sun once. It was an overcast, cold day. Of course, this wasn't supposed to be a fun trip anyway - we were headed up for the husband's on-site job interview.


The day started out healthily enough - I still got up early (I actually got to sleep in till 6:30, ha!) and worked out. I had some coffee, but I definitely should have brought more for the road. We did pack healthy snacks, so I munched on kiwi and grapes (and a carrot raisin muffin) until we pulled into Fort Wayne around 10:30.  



We had built in a stop here to get an early lunch at the Pembroke Bakery & Cafe, which specializes in vegan options.  I had the Creole Tofu sandwich, and Francisco had the Mediterranean Tofu.  







After the interview later in the day, we headed a little deeper into Michigan to check out a restaurant in Ann Arbor. Along the way, we passed what may be my favorite highway sign ever: Prison Area Do Not Pick Up Hitchhikers. This sign always amuses me! Although it was a little discomforting to know that Francisco might be working so close to a prison... 


My plan for dinner was that this would be my cheat meal and it would span multiple states because there was another restaurant in Fort Wayne I was hoping to stop at on the way home.

This plan started out really well with some amazing food at Seva. We shared a mushroom slider, which was a yummy start to the meal. 


Francisco had the Ravioli with Artichoke Sauce, and I had the Seva Club. My club came with tofurky, smoked coconut, avocado, lettuce, tomatoes, and vegan aioli on toasted avalon pullman bread. We left with half of our entrees in boxes so we would have room for the next stop.    


Sadly, the restaurant we had wanted to visit was just closing up for the night when we pulled up, so we did not get to eat there. There was a Dairy Queen a few stores over, so we ended the night with a Caramel Cheesequake Royal Shake...and a 2.5 hour drive still to go! 

So...not the best day for a road trip, but at least there was some decent food involved to help make up for it.  And...I mostly consider dessert to be part of dinner, so the DQ rolls into our dinner for a single cheat meal for Friday. ;-)


No comments:

Post a Comment