Monday, March 18, 2013

Back to My Normal Not-So-Healthy Program

So, surprise, surprise, I went to the Indian buffet on Saturday.  I admit, Indian food could never be accused of looking like the most appetizing food - it can look pretty disgusting - but it is deceptively tasty!  I had a couple of plates that looked similar to this one and then of course some Gulab Jamun and Rice Pudding for dessert.


There is just no way to accurately total the calories consumed at this buffet, so I just plugged 3,000 into my spreadsheet, knowing that I clearly went wayyyy over any reasonable calorie count for the day. 

Sunday wasn't much better. We decided to have a hodge-podge of food, just whatever sounded good. So, this consisted of a Salted Caramel Pretzel shake from Steak 'n' Shake, Mozzarella Sticks and a Lava Cake from Arby's, and a Mushroom and Feta calzone from Niko's Spicy Pickle. That shake alone had 860 calories, and the total meal was about 2,000. 

I don't think any of my 'cheat meals' were reasonable options in this experiment. If I were really on a diet, I would hope I would pick more reasonable splurges. I think I just ended up feeling deprived during the week, so I felt like I 'owed' it to myself to pig out on the weekends. Honestly, I wasn't even hungry enough to have eaten all of this food at the time it was consumed.

As suspected, all of that heavy eating hurt my final weigh-in figures, so that is why I summarized my results here. If I look at my ending weight for Sunday, my cumulative weight change is -2 pounds or 1.53% of my body weight. Based on my average weight so far for the year, this is about -1.5 pounds or 1.12%. 

As for the other rules, I was right on the money with my 1,200 calorie daily allotment. Over the three-week period, my average calorie intake for non-cheat days was 1,186.91. I ate a lot more fruits and vegetables than I normally do - nearly every day, I had 2 servings of fruit and 2.5 servings of vegetables, but I did fall short on a handful of days.  Good thing I take vitamins!  I hit my exercise goals every week - 2.5 hours of cardio and strength training twice weekly.  And I never had more than 2 weekly cheat meals. 

All in all, this experiment did highlight some of my weak points, so I consider it a success. 

No comments:

Post a Comment