Wednesday, February 26, 2014

21 Days Later: The End of Juicing

And so ends the juicing adventure. It was actually kind of fun - we tried new fruits and vegetables, tons of new juice recipes, made homemade almond milk, and really found some inspiration in this challenge.
I started this challenge with a two-day juice cleanse, which really turned into a 1.5 day juice cleanse and half a day of fasting. I probably should have eased into this whole juicing thing a bit more. :-P We realized after we'd started that it probably would have made a whole lot more sense to do the cleanse at the end of the 21 days after our palates were better adjusted. Oh, well; I tried and learned.  We leaned on The Juice Generation for guidance and nearly all of our recipes.

After those challenging 2 days, we substituted one meal a day with a juice. For me, this was 90% breakfast and the rest being lunch. For Francisco, this was probably the exact opposite. He does heavier workouts in the morning, so he really looks forward to a protein-heavy breakfast to power him through the morning.  We learned that a little fruit generally goes a long way. Fruit definitely enhances the flavor of your juice, because frankly, too many greens just taste like dirt. But fruit has a lot of sugar, so you want to make sure your drinks are fairly well-balanced between fruits and veggies. 

Overall, this was a huge reminder as to how many nutrients are likely missing from my diet on a regular basis. Juicing can make it so easy to get all those recommended daily servings of fruits and veggies into one cup in their prime form for the body to most easily absorb all of the nutrients. 

After the cleanse, I saw a decline in my weight of five pounds. Once I went back to eating normally with just a single juice a day, I did see the scale creep back up. And then back down again as I tried to adopt healthier habits. I weighed in this morning, and my cumulative weight loss from day 0 is 5.4 pounds. But since your weight can fluctuate so much, I also calculated the difference between my average YTD weight and my average weight the last three days of juicing, and this came to a loss of 3.1 pounds.  So, I'm happy to see some downward movement, and I hope this will inspire future healthy decisions. I have my 6-year anniversary in less than a month, so it would be great to feel better about myself by then!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment