Monday, February 17, 2014

Juice vs. Smoothies

In the past week, we played around with some new flavors, including Acai, Mangos, and Coconuts. It's next to impossible to find Acai fresh, so we picked up these unsweetened smoothie packs.
Phase 2 of The Juice Generation introduced a lot of new fresh produce smoothies, so it was kind of nice to give the juicer a break and bust out the blender. One of the first smoothies we tried was a Pacific Pineapple, which called for 1 freshly cracked young Thai coconut (water and meat), 1/4 cup pineapple, and 1/4 cup strawberries.  There is a ton of liquid in these coconuts! This ended up making 4 cups of smoothie, so Francisco and I were able to split this.
The smoothies definitely feel a lot more filling since there's added fat and some fiber. I found myself missing my morning juices on the few days I had breakfast smoothies. This Avocado Coconut juice really filled me up, but it just left me feeling a little heavier. So, I'd say it really depends on the person whether juicing or blending makes more sense for you. Half the time, I can be just fine with some Greek yogurt for breakfast, but if you need something heartier to power you through your day, a smoothie might work far better for you. It's been kind of fun to play around with new foods, and as long as I limit the kale to just a leaf per juice, I've been able to tolerate it just fine so far! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment