Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Dragonfruit

We picked up a dragonfruit during our last trip to Jungle Jim's. Also known as a pitaya, this bright pink fruit is really easy to prepare to eat.
You cut it in half and scoop out the flesh, which separates really easily. You can even use the shell as a serving bowl after you chop up the pitaya interior.  The texture is very similar to kiwi with the small edible black seeds, and the taste is very mild.
For my last juicing breakfast, I actually made a Phase 3 smoothie recipe. It called for a whole coconut, but I used half a coconut (liquid and meat) since I've learned that a whole coconut makes a whole lot of smoothie. I blended that with half a cup of dragonfruit and half a banana.
Really tasty!  It comes to about 280 calories for the recipe I made (dragonfruit: 90, coconut half: 135, banana half: 53).

No comments:

Post a Comment