Monday, February 24, 2014

An Ode to Pomegranates

Just one day left of juicing! Tomorrow will be my last juice of the 21 days challenge.  But like I've said, I hope to keep juicing a regular part of my diet. :) Just this past week, I found a new appreciation for pomegranates.  We've purchased them once before, and they were a pain and annoying to eat. The seeds are still a pain to extract, but when you juice them, yummy!
We used the water extraction method to get all the seeds out.  It's not hard, just a little time-consuming. 




These bright seeds juice up really easily for a nutrient packed drink chock full of potent antioxidants.
I juiced some collard greens, swiss chard, kale, green apple, blueberries, and pomegranate seeds and blended that with some acai to make an Antioxidant All-Star drink. I was a little worried about all the greens going into this one, but it was well-balanced.  A little brown with the green and the purple combination but tastier than it looked. :)
We enjoyed the pomegranate juice so much, we even decided to use it as the star ingredient in some weekend cocktails. We made delicious pomegranate margaritas using fresh pomegranate juice. We'd gone out to Jungle Jim's and purchased about a half-dozen, and my sweet husband dedicated himself to de-seeding all of them so we would have plenty on hand for drinks.  These were by far the best homemade margaritas I have had thus far!
Our next adventure involved a mangosteen. This also took some work to get into because of the thick outer shell.  It kind of resembled a white orange with a sweeter taste. 
It's always fun to try new foods or new found appreciation for old ones!

No comments:

Post a Comment